The faculty and staff of Shaw Heights welcomes you. It is our intent to provide your child with the best possible educational program. It is also our intent to provide a well-organized, disciplined, pleasant atmosphere in which you and your child will be able to participate in school-related activities. Shaw Heights School is part of the South Carolina public school system and is situated in Sumter School District. It is an elementary school housing second and third grade classes. Located on Frierson Road within the gates to Shaw Air Force Base, the school is surrounded by the base housing areas. Fifty percent (50%) of the children attending the school come from base housing and fifty percent (50%) are bused in from surrounding communities. Shaw Heights School, built in 1952, is on a campus of 10.2 acres. We have recently undergone a major building and renovation project. We are accredited by both the South Carolina State Department of Education and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. All teachers on this faculty are fully certified by the South Carolina Department of Education You are encouraged to meet your child’s teacher early in the school year and to have teacher conferences whenever needed. Appointments should be made for conferences as teachers are not permitted to confer with parents while responsible for class activities. Teachers will be happy to inform you of times before school, after school, or during the school day when they would be able to talk with you. Although conferences with teachers must be pre-arranged, you are most welcome to observe your child’s class at any time. Please inform the office of your school visit, as it is the policy of the district to have all visitors sign in at the office.
Welcome to the Shaw Heights Elementary School web page! Here you will find a variety of important information regarding upcoming events, classroom activities, teacher contact information, and school resources. Please feel free to look around the site, and don’t forget to sign up for our Parent Email Alert. Thank you for visiting!
The mission of Shaw Heights Elementary School is to ensure All Children Excel in School (ACES).
We envision a school that is student centered, warm and inviting, and guided by its commitment to ensure that all students receive the highest quality education.
- Children are our greatest assets.
- Learning is a life-long process.
- Teamwork is necessary to achieve the goals of an organization.
- Character development is necessary for an individual to reach his/her full potential.
- Active involvement is critical to productive change.
- Each individual is responsible for his/her own actions.
- The quality of education primarily determines the quality of life in a community.
- There is a Supreme Being.
- Human beings have unlimited potential.
- We are responsible for each other.
- Every person has intrinsic worth.
- Respect and effective communication strengthens our diverse community.